Thursday, December 13, 2012

Day 35: Five Weeks On...

Left Jaw Pain 0/10       (6/10 when performing jaw exercises and yawning)
Right Jaw Pain: 1/10    (6/10 ditto)
Hip Pain: 1/10
Inconvenience factor: 3/10
Hipbone bits in my cheek 1/10 

Crikey 5 weeks on already! 

I'm still shrinking and by the look of the photos below I believe that my left side is pretty much back to normal! Still some fatness on the right to shed but it's definitely getting close now!!!







This week I have really really struggled with my pureed diet! I am OVER it! 5 weeks is ENOUGH!!! I want texture! I crave texture! My risotto success last week inspired me to try some pasta - surely that would be soft enough. After attempting to masticate a single piece of pasta for over a minute and failing dismally to turn it into smaller swallowable pieces I gave up and threw the power stick at it. Let me tell you pureed tuna pasta bake is ORDINARY at best. Back to the drawing board!


With Christmas less than 2 weeks away I am really starting to get concerned about my inability to chew. Do you know how much good food is around right now? How could you not?! I have lost 6kg post surgery. I can not imagine a better position to be in at Christmas time - hungry and with plenty of free reign to gain some weight. It is a seriously cruel twist of fate that I still can not chew. Please, please return this simple skill to me asap! I can't stop thinking about all the amazing food and delicious treats that I know to be on the menu for the next 2 weeks! Aaaah! Please don't be this mean!! The pain begins tomorrow night - it's our work Christmas dinner at a phenomenal Greek Restaurant! At this stage I will be squashing zucchini croquettes and mashing moussaka into pulp! 

I have to say though that CHEESECAKE has been my one saving grace! I can eat it! All of it, including the bottom layer as it is! No processing needed! One teaspoon full at a time!!! And I LOVE cheesecake! Heavenly!!! :)

I've had a few exciting moments this week when bits of my bottom lip and chin have tingled with pins and needles! Hopefully, this means feeling will return soon! That would also be a very nice and greatly appreciated Christmas present!

My jaw joints have been aching a lot and even sort of popping this week. I'm assuming that it's a combination of more talking (thanks to working again) and my opening/closing exercises. I'll take it as a good sign that the muscles are strengthening and repairing. Hurry up!!! :)

Vital Statistics Update:
  • Still numb bottom lip down to my chin tip
  • Still can not open my mouth more than two centimetres
  • Still can not chew - boo!
  • No more open wounds in my mouth, very few ulcers left!!! Yay!
  • I have lost 6kg to date - I think my apathy towards pureed food has resulted in less calories going in my mouth this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment