Thursday, December 27, 2012

Day 49: Seven Weeks On....

Left Jaw Pain 0/10       (8/10 during failed attempts to chew)
Right Jaw Pain: 0/10    
Hip Pain: 1/10
Inconvenience factor: 3/10
Hipbone bits in my cheek 1/10 

With the Christmas Silly Season I must apologise for missing a blog week! Far too much was going on and I became horribly distracted!

I hope you all had a fantastic Christmas with family and friends and savoured EVERY mouthful of food that you CHEWED! Sadly, I was not so fortunate. I am still failing to successfully accomplish that fundamental and most basic of skills.....chewing. Aaargh!!!

So my Christmas feasts were limited to things I could essentially mash! I shouldn't really complain - Roast veggies with gravy are pretty yummy and I can stuff many desserts and things of chocolately goodness into my mouth!!!
 I guess you might be wondering what the problem with chewing is??? It's a combination of things really.....
  • I can't open my mouth very widely so only small things can go in
  • I still have lots of numbness in my mouth and can't tell where the food is
  • My teeth especially the molars don't meet properly yet (we're working on it)
  • My still internally swollen cheek still gets in the way and unwittingly chomped on
  • The muscles in my jaw joints are not very strong and achieving pressure is difficult
  • The jaw muscles are also not very happy when stretched or moved 'wrongly' and give incredibly painful feedback
Patience, Patience, Patience!!!

I did receive a great Christmas present though.....FINALLY my X-RAYS! Woo Hoo! My face is full of metal - plates, screws, pins - check it out!  

 
The right side of this image above is the left side of my face - the perfectly behaved side. The other side (on the left) is the right side I have whinged so much about - the one that suffered the 'unfavourable split'
C - shows you where the first cut was made. 
A -  shows where the jaw ended up splitting very unfavourably
B - shows where the surgeon had to cut/break my jaw to complete the surgery. 
Just below A you can see three pins that were used to hold the broken jaw all together.
D - shows the pin used to attach the hip bone to my cheek. 


Front view....Arrow shows the mess that my right jaw turned into as the initial break site.


  Side Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment