Sunday, November 18, 2012

Day 10: Midnight Fun and Games.

Left Jaw Pain: 1/10
Right Jaw Pain: 3/10
Hip Pain: 2/10
Inconvenience factor: 6/10



Day 10, double figures already. Geez time is moving fast. Honestly, this is fine by me as everyday I am feeling a little bit better! I am pretty confident that I have turned the corner now, the worst is behind me and I will soon be skipping down the road feeling like 1 million dollars. I'm down to one dose of painkillers a day (before bed), the last of the horrible flaps of skin peeling off of my lips has shed itself, I'm finally eating enough and my weight decline has stopped. It's all cruising pretty nicely. One lingering bugbear though is my inability to get a decent night's sleep.

Getting comfortable is hard. Staying comfortable is nigh impossible. Sleep has become a nightly battle that I am resoundingly losing. I wake at least 10 times a night having rolled one way or the other and causing some part of me pain. 

Despite still sleeping slightly inclined to reduce swelling, the whole being near-horizontal thing must put pressure in the wrong place as my right ear canal always aches when I wake, often to the point that I head to the fridge for more drugs. Lately, as I'm trying to wean myself off the pain killers, I will sit bolt upright on my bed and try and ride the wave. 

What to do in the middle of the night when you are trying to clear your head and ignore pain?!?! Read a book, do a sudoku, play games on your phone (that explains my odd Scramble hours and crap scores Kane), check the weather in Siberia, the wool prices in Bahrain, write a blog, plan your christmas card list, check the spelling of aesophagus, search for rural properties, find the calorific content of 100g of spinach.....you get my drift. 

Finally, when the pain eases, I lie down again, try to quieten the now over-stimulated brain, and the battle starts afresh.
 
It's Sunday today. The day of rest! Maybe tonight will be different???

3 comments:

  1. Morning Son. Actually I hope you are still asleep, deeply, pain free, dreaming of eating properly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you have kids :O)
    Hope your sleep improves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite part of this entry.....check the weather in Siberia, the wool prices in Bahrain,.....
    Super funny. Buying stuff online always works for me. Especially mega cheap LED lights from Hong Kong. If you buy individual ones from different sellers then they show up at your door over several weeks. It is perfect for training delayed gratification.

    ReplyDelete