Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 12: It's a Spud's Life!

Left Jaw Pain: 0/10
Right Jaw Pain: 2/10
Hip Pain: 3/10
Inconvenience factor: 5/10
Look at those cheeky chop cheekbones. Lordy!!!
I've been home for just over a week now, and honestly today was the first day that I have actually felt like a bit of a couch potato (and I am sure to some of my misery mockery friends, I probably look a bit like one too). 

Up until now, my days have been filled just trying to get through them. Everything that is normally pretty simple, ends up taking a lot of time and effort. I've had to force myself to do a lot of things - getting out of bed, eating enough food, shower, keeping the house reasonably clean and yes, occasionally even the blog. Sometimes, you just do what you know you have to and thank yourself later. 

But today, today things felt so much easier. If I was thirsty it was no problem getting off of the couch. I didn't have to debate with myself that I really did need to get up or I might die of dehydration. Today, I jumped up (using the term loosely) not only to get a glass and open the fridge, but also to fire up the juicer with zeal and make my own. Fresh orange juice is hard to beat. 

For the first time, I started exploring the pile of gifts that my friends donated to keeping me entertained during recovery. I really am shocked that it has taken me until Day 12, to look for something to do. I thought I'd be going out of my head by about Day 5. I guess all this double jaw surgery business knocked me around far more than I was prepared for.

Whatever the reason, I am assuming that this is a great sign. I must be getting better!
So what do you do when you are finally feeling better? You sit on your butt and do nothing!!! And boy did it felt GOOD!!!

Yet for doing nothing, I did more today than have all week! I started the day with a lie in, reading my book with a hot cup of tea. Over breakfast, I flicked through magazines, ripping out recipes and daydreaming about the first thing that I will bite into when I am actually allowed! By lunch, I'd read a few more mags, knocked off some sudokus, a few word games, tackled a cryptic crossword (phoned a friend to not much avail - nice try Ness, we suck separated) and started a 1,000 piece jigsaw puzzle. Post-lunch, I whipped up a banana, raspberry and mango smoothie, did a sink load of dishes and smashed that jigsaw puzzle some more whilst plonked on the couch watching Season 2 of The Tudors. Pure Heaven! I eventually migrated outside, tended the garden and then whipped up the most delectable dinner that you can imagine.... Okay, well at least you have to admit that it is colourful! 
My Dinner.....Mmmm!
The brown stuff is pureed butter beans and chickpeas with olive oil and salt. 
The green stuff is mashed potato, spinach with a touch of butter, milk and parmesan! 
The red stuff is the watermelon and pineapple just - they appear to have different specific gravities and refused to stay mixed! :)
I'm down to 2 drugs a meal and soon 1 (this the last stupid tablet I have to take). Yay!
The broad spectrum antibiotic capsule gets opened and sprinkled on dinner. 
The tablet gets broken into 4 pieces - I just couldn't stand the feral taste of it crushed! 


OTHER RANDOM THOUGHTS:

Today, I experienced my first, near-sneeze. Holy Cotton Socks it was scary. I felt it coming and did everything to abort. I have no doubt that a sneeze would be a freaking catastrophy right now!!

I have been tingling a lot more on my chin and the right side of my face this afternoon. I am hoping that this means some feeling may return soon! I'm kind of over the dribbling thing as humorous as others are finding it! Fingers crossed! 

My hip hurts. I think I slept on it wrongly! :(


With my extra energy, I took a head torch t0 my mouth for a look around and also decided to test out my mouth opening abilities. What an adventure!!!! There is still plenty of swelling of gums and cheek on the right side, a big hole where my wisdom tooth used to be and I can see big white stitches in very odd places. Frustratingly, though, even without elastics, I still can't open wide enough to fit a tooth brush in.... and well frankly after looking inside my mouth I REALLY do need to. Blek! :( 

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!!! double YAY!!! you little ripper....

    I'm stoked that you are now in couch potato land - this is amazing to think that this time last week you where just "managing" your days. The body continuously amazes me.

    I'm also happy to read you are potentially doing "the" jigsaw puzzle! Third time lucky and all that stuff... Have yet another awesome day my friend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm....yeah. About "that" puzzle....Not "that" puzzle! It's one Lil Sis gave me. It's finished now. So maybe I can subject the Rock to "the" puzzle! :) Xx

      Delete