Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Take 2: 1 Day Out. Soup and Remotes Don't Mix!

I stayed at a close friend's place last night. Partly because she is in the city and close to the hospital, partly because I wanted the company and partly because she knows how to make the most amazing carrot and ginger soup and promised me a large batch for my freezer. 

So this morning, after I dumped all my things into my car (include several containers of soup) I had the luxury of being able to walk to my pre-surgery appointment. It was a great way to calm the nerves. I took in the sunshine and fresh air with the certainty of knowing that as soon as I walked in that hospital door that there was no going back. Surgery was definitely happening tomorrow.

The meeting was short, incredibly so. One last - show us your smile (you mean disfunctional bite - no need to sugar coat it) and a few mumbles and nods of the head shared amongst the doctors. Then I was asked "So do you have any questions?". Hooray! And the flood gate opened! Key new knowledge acquired today:
1) After surgery I will get wafers (kind of plates) that will be held together (top to bottom jaw) with firm elastic bands and function to control the movement of my jaw. No wires at all. 
2) I will have 2 puncture wounds on my face, as it seems they can't do my surgery all through my mouth. And I will get a short incision on my right hip.
3) Oh and NO the bling is NOT for bits of gum and skin - it's to hold the wafers in place.

It was all over in 15 mins. That all seemed a little too easy. All I had let to do was find out what time I had to arrive at hospital tomorrow. Of course I had to wait until 1:30pm to ring Surgery Admissions to find out - that is 4 hours away!!! YES, pure agony to a control freak.
 
I wandered back to my friends house only to discover that the soup had leaked all over my driver's seat, the keys and the gate remote. Funnily enough Carrot and Ginger soup inside of gate remotes cause them to stop working! I thought that I might be trapped inside this car compound forever (why were there no sensor pad?). I would miss surgery all because of this damn slippery soup - at least I would have something to eat for a few days. 
Yes, I finally calmed down, stopped pushing the button a 100 times a minute and finally rationally pulled the remote apart, clean it, reassembled and on my way! At least it killed 15minutes of the 4 hours!

I need to be at the hospital at 7:30am. I am the second cab off the rank, with my Surgery going ahead around lunch time. So only 5 hours to sit and wait - I hope that not too much of that time is in a backless gown!

The RULES:
No food after midnight - I may turn into a Gremlin. I told them that I am more likely to turn into a Gremlin by actually withholding food but they wouldn't listen!
No liquid after 6:30am.
No jewellery.
Wash with soup only.
Wash your hair.
No moisturiser, no deodorant! 

Thanks to everyone for your support and well wishes! It is so gratefully received!

1 comment:

  1. Wash with soup??? Getting you ready for your liquid diet???? Did not realise you have to bathe in it too.

    ReplyDelete