Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Day 6: Prune Juice - The Devil in Disguise!

Left Jaw Pain: 1/10
Right Jaw Pain: 7/10

Hip Pain: 2/10

Inconvenience factor: 10/10



Numerous times over the past week, the medical fraternity have decided to inform me of the elevated risk of constipation associated with my reduced food intact, my liquid diet and simply as a very common side affect of the pain killers I was on. There was even daily questioning by the ward nursing staff "Have your bowels moved today?", with the answer diligently recorded in your file. The lass in the bed next to me was even threatened with an enema! 

I had read on a number of blogs that a spot of prune juice from day one at home would see you right. So of course, trying to give myself the best possible chance for a speedy recovery I bought some and added it to my fridge last week. I drank about 30ml yesterday for breakfast and was a little bit keen to see if it had worked this morning. I had the right feeling, so got up and headed to the bathroom to see if the battle would be won today. What I was not prepared for was an EXPLOSION! Yes, as much as you all just cringed, I know that you have all been there!

What a cruel twist of fate. When you are on a liquid diet, struggling to get enough calories as it is, and when by far most of your calories are coming from dairy rich sources (which by the bible of gastro recovery is banned entirely), what the hell do you do when you get struck down with the Squits?

I can't eat crackers! I can't eat boiled rice!

In desperation, I've been sucking down electrolytes, energy gels and pumpkin soup like there is no tomorrow. My energy levels and hydration are okay but I have noticed that the pain medication is not quite as effective as it has been. :(

Lets hope the Attack of the Prunes is only a 24 hours thing! Needless to say the bottle has been banished to the bottom of the bin!!!






3 comments:

  1. OMG - nice photo!!!
    Don't be too hasty to put prune juice in the bin - that kind of gastro is going around at the moment.... Last a day or so... Maybe you got it from the hospital, or some random person's kids????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope pretty much 100% sure it's the Prune Juice! Want it? I can fish it out of the bin for you!?!!?!? Although, it may not be so appetising anymore....Who am I kidding? It was NEVER appetising!

      Delete
  2. I'd rather have Ass Bulimia any day. I was on Tylenol 3 for about a year before and after my back surgery. Do you guys have that miracle drug? All the codeine is very constipating. The surgeon said he didn't want me "forcing" right after the surgery. Bring on the runs I say. As long as you are always near a flushing toilet.

    ReplyDelete