Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Day 13: Driving Miss Daisy is No More!

Left Jaw Pain: 0/10
Right Jaw Pain: 2/10
Hip Pain: 3/10
Inconvenience factor: 4/10

A number of happy firsts today!

1) The feeling has returned to the roof of my mouth! Finally it no longer feels like there is a huge lump of plastic sitting in the roof of my mouth and my tongue feels normal in its own space again!!

2) Today was my first drug free day (apart from antibiotics) in nearly 2 weeks. I decided not to down any painkillers before bed last night. As usual, I woke up numerous times but the pain was bearable so I ignored it. And I was still feeling good this morning! Maybe now that my head knows I'm not going to hurt myself in my sleep by rolling onto something slightly broken and painful, it might actually let me sleep through? Please? Would it be wrong to beg?

3) Give me the keys Baby! Today it was time to put my hip to test! After a few tentative pushes on the pedals, I zoomed around the block for a real test run. No problemo my friend! With the big double thumbs up I was able to drive myself to my appointment with the surgeon. Accordingly my Inconvenience factor drops by 1 today! I can now escape the house without having to ring for a chauffeur! I still can't walk very far or very fast, but at least now my shuffling is not restricted to the same scenery on repeat!

It was a reasonably uneventful trip to the surgeon. I received a new wiring configuration for my face. Alas, there was still no x-rays of my poor smashed face (he will email them to me). He said "Open and Bite Together" about 100 times and concluded that I was going to get a great result. My bite is still a little off. Things definitely look to be lining up better but two teeth on my left side hit end on which don't let the rest of my teeth come together. This is now a job for the orthodontist to fix. Good thing I am seeing him tomorrow! I want to be chewing by Christmas! Get on it man!!!

The surgeon also informed me that the right side of my face is about 2 weeks behind the left, which is going to leave me asymetrical for at least 10 more weeks! :) And, when I quizzed him, he said that the numbness of my lips and chin could last for up to 3 months. Egads!!!!

A few more juicy details about my surgery.

A delightful sketch of my head!
I underwent a bi-maxillary osteotomy during which: 
My maxilla (the top jaw) was moved forward about 5mm.
My maxilla was also impacted posteriorly (tilted by raising at the back) around 3mm.
My mandible (the bottom one) was set back 5mm. 

That's quite a bit of change! Now I'm just keen for this swelling to go away so that I can get a better look! :)



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sonja, It s is good to read that you are making such a progress. We all hope that you may recover as 'smooth'as possible. We like your style of writing. Keep up doing this, it helps a lot to write things down. It helps to give it a place in your mind,and to left things also bheind you. Stay as positive as you are, enjoy every inch of your revory and be able to get the normal life back.
    All the best from all of us.
    With a big hug and saying Doei!!!
    Carla & Theo
    Bram & Wouter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news mate, glad to hear your mobile again.

    ReplyDelete