Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 21: Three Weeks On...

Left Jaw Pain: 0/10
Right Jaw Pain: 2/10    (7/10 when you poke it)
Hip Pain: 2/10               (6/10 when laughing)
Inconvenience factor: 3/10


So here I am 3 weeks on. I am finally slimming down in my face but it's pretty obvious that the right side is still much fatter and more swollen than the left side. It's still too sore to sleep on and there a few spots that hurt like crazy when you touch them....I seriously need to stop touching them to see if they are better yet! It's like poking an ulcer, you just can't help yourself.


I went back to the surgeon Monday afternoon after finding some seriously gross red puffy bits of my gum oozing yellow stuff where it had been sewn back together. Given I'd stopped all antibiotics on Friday, the appearance of this goop on Sunday made me really nervous. The surgeon seemed okay with it, told me it was just one of the surgery 'drainage holes' healing and to keep it clean by flushing it with salt water - every time I eat anything. He did though, put me back onto antibiotics just in case. So I now have a new ritual after eating.....pop on a head torch, grab a syringe full of salty water, squirt away all the pus-like stuff, squirt in the hole, squirt all around my mouth and rinse with salty salty water. If you've never gargled salt water, I think you should try it! It's truly incredible how much you drool! (Which is made so much more disturbing when you can't feel it)!

I also asked the surgeon about the sore spots on my face and if it meant there was a problem this far down the track. After poking them until I was nearly in tears, he gently re-iterated that unfortunately, he'd had to break a few bones in there, and everything appeared fine. But... just like a broken jaw, only time would bring it right! It is definitely 2 weeks behind the left in terms of recovery. I just have to accept this and be patient (we all know this is my strong point - NOT!). I am still waiting for the X-rays.....I wonder what metal mechano creation he has constructed in my jaw and is now hiding from me.

Other Highlights of the Week:
  1. I survived my first sneeze. Thankfully someone gave me the sage advice to open my mouth a bit when I felt it coming. It was pretty horrible and awkward, and my hip hurt like crazy but I made it through! However, I was really glad that no one was around to see the facial contortions that accompanied it
  2.  I passed through airport security and did not beep at all despite the new metal face I am sporting! To be honest, I was just a little bit disappointed! 
  3. I managed to eat some Vienetta ice cream! Mmmm!!!
  4. I logged on remotely to work and attempted to do some actual work from home. I must admit that I found my attention span to be horrendously short and as a result my productivity is nearly non-existent. I'm up to date on emails but that is it!  
  5. I finally managed to get some decent sleep. I am now sleeping for about 9 hours a night (only a few wake ups) and I am generally tired for most of the day! I am taking all this as a really positive sign that my body is in serious repair mode! 

Vital Statistics Update:
  • I am still numb bottom lip down to my chin tip. :(
  • I am on my puree food diet for at least another week.
  • I will have elastics on my teeth until at least the 17th December.
  • My hip still hurts when walking and very much so when laughing.
  • My new cheekbones also hurt a lot when laughing. It is soo cruel!
  • I have lost 5.2kg to date.

1 comment:

  1. Great smile Sonja...but you look like a crazy cave explorer in the second picture. Can't wait till we get to see you. Sorry you didn't set off the airport security scanner lol.

    ReplyDelete